Closing Date: Open until filled.
We seek a dynamic and skilled IT professional to be our next Data Architect. The Data Architect will have primary responsibility for storing and providing CRITFC data. As a science-based organization, we have a large amount of biological and geographical data. The Data Architect will help us to utilize our data more fully to make the best scientific and administrative decisions.
The ideal candidate for this role is an IT professional who has a strong connection to the natural world and a strong desire to be of service to our region’s tribes.
CRITFC offers competitive compensation and an exceptional benefits package, including medical, dental, 401(k), 12 days of vacation (to start), 12 paid holidays, and paid sick time. We provide professional development opportunities, promote from within, and have a tribal hiring preference as part of our commitment to our people. As a result, you will find a work environment that supports and inspires our shared goals of protecting the natural world and the tribal cultural connection to it.
Classification: Regular, Full-time, Exempt
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, typically 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with a one-hour unpaid lunch
Salary: $88,485 – $91,088 (GS 12, steps 5-6)
Location: Partially or fully remote in Oregon, Washington, or Idaho
Closing Date: Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Application review begins immediately and will continue until position is filled. Contact Michelle Valintis, CRITFC Recruiter, if you wish to have an informal conversation in advance of a formal application.
- Visualize and design the organization’s data architecture.
- Serve as database administrator for the organization’s centralized structured database and database services, including the Central Data Management System (CDMS) SQL server.
- Serve as administrator for Azure services, including Azure blob storage and SQL services. Be responsible for the performance, integrity, and security of these services.
- Work closely with biologists who collect data throughout the Columbia River basin, oceanographers from our Center for Coastal Margin Observation & Prediction, geneticists from our Hagerman Fish Culture Experiment Station, and other staff to advise them on how best to store, combine, and retrieve their data.
- Willingness to roll up one’s sleeves and help others on our IT team as needed. Our team is not a group of independent workers. Often, we will work together to assist each other in solving a problem or developing a plan. We all serve as back ups for each other when we take time off.
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a dedicated IT role.
- Experience managing databases and servers is required, to include managing performance and security.
- Experience as a data engineer, to include defining data flow and translating business requirements to system requirements is preferred.
- Full stack experience is preferred but not required.
- A strong track record of meeting one’s commitments to others at work. You always get your work done on time.
- Exceptional project management skills. Ability to set up a project and then guide project partners to complete their tasks on time.
- A communication style that makes users feel valued and empowered.
- Enrolled membership in a tribal organization or a strong desire to be of service to a tribal organization. Knowledge of or dedication to learn tribal history and customs of CRITFC’s four member tribes.
- A strong connection to the natural world. CRITFC’s mission is to put salmon back in the Columbia River and protect the watershed through our strategic salmon restoration plan, Wy-Kan-Ush-Mi Wa-Kish-Wit.
This role reports to the leader of CRITFC’s IT and Operations and is a member of the five person IT team.
Primarily sedentary work in an office setting.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
This job occasionally requires driving a CRITFC vehicle or your own vehicle for business (mileage compensated), and therefore you must be able to meet the terms of the CRITFC Motor Vehicle policy. Per the policy, applicants are required to have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record for the past three years. This includes a three-year record clear of the following:
- Reckless Driving
- Driving Under the Influence
- Suspension or revoked license
- No more than two at-fault accidents
- No more than one major violation or two minor violations
The Columbia River Inter-Tribal Fish Commission (CRITFC) requires all new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first day of employment.
To apply, submit the following:
- Cover letter
- CRITFC job application (download at link below)
Contact Michelle Valintis, CRITFC Recruiter, if you wish to have an informal conversation in advance of a formal application.
Submit by mail:
Attn: Human Resources
700 NE Multnomah Street, Suite 1200
Portland, OR 97232
CRITFC implements a tribal preference policy and encourages citizens and descendants of our member tribes (Nez Perce, Umatilla, Warm Springs and Yakama) and other federally recognized tribes to apply.
CRITFC is committed to building a culturally inclusive community and a work environment that respects and inspires every person. Members of historically marginalized groups including women, people of color, those with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, those who have served in the military, and members of other underrepresented communities are invited to apply.
CRITFC will consider non-citizen applicants who are authorized to work in the U.S. If not authorized to work in the U.S., CRITFC will provide reasonable support and accommodations to the candidate in obtaining U.S. work authorization. With the exception of certain employer required costs, CRITFC will not pay for costs related to applicant’s legal representation, filings for work authorization or immigration, or other costs related to obtaining work authorization.
*Please note: the term “Commission” as used in this description refers to CRITFC’s governing body. CRITFC is a tribal organization that is wholly owned and governed by the Nez Perce Tribe, the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation, The Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon, and the Confederated Tribes and Bands of the Yakama Nation. As a tribal organization, CRITFC is subject to a unique blend of policies and laws.