Closing Date: Open until filled.
The Columbia River Inter-Tribal Police Department (CRITPD) is based in Hood River, Oregon. It is the law enforcement arm of the Columbia River Inter-tribal Fish Commission (CRITFC) an agency of tribal government. The team consists of patrol officers, dispatchers, victim advocate, and administrative personnel. The department maintains a 24-hour policing effort focused on the 150-mile stretch of the Columbia River from Bonneville Dam to McNary Dam and lands adjacent. CRITPD dispatchers are directly responsible for the operation of all office radio/telephone communication equipment, monitoring patrol officer activities and assisting with general office needs of the agency.
- Department: Enforcement (Columbia River Inter-Tribal Police Department)
- Classification: Full-Time, regular, non-exempt (includes benefits).
- Salary/Wage Range: $39,937 to $43,661 (step 1 to step 3 depending on experience)
- Location: Hood River, OR
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for CRITPD radio communications and all incoming business calls, calls for assistance, dispatching officers to complaints, disturbances, and general assistance to the public or other police agencies.
- Responsible for secretarial, receptionist and general office duties, and maintaining accurate radio, telephone and department logs.
- Operate and maintain all office equipment associated with dispatch responsibilities; radio system, computer system and printers, fax machine, postage meter, phone system, copier and LEDS and know when to report system problems.
- Have a working knowledge of the CRITFC Personnel Policy Manual, Lexipol Policies, Department Operations Manual and the Communications Division Procedures as well as a general knowledge of the applicable tribal, inter-tribal, state/federal laws, resolutions and procedures pertaining to fishing and related activities on the Columbia River, reading and maintaining all current and updated information.
- Work rotating shifts and emergency coverage as assigned.
- Maintain LEDS, CJIS Security and First-aid/CPR certification.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent training and/or education.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Possess tact, good communication skills (oral and written), clear and concise speaking voice and excellent listening skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize duties.
- DPSST certified or certifiable in the State of Oregon.
- Knowledge or ability to learn tribal fishing rights.
- Become certified through the Oregon state criminal computer system (LEDS).
- Possess general office typing ability.
- Possess self-initiative and ability to function with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to direct and provide sound guidance to officers.
- Ability to remain calm while under extreme pressure.
- Maintain the physical and health standards required of the position.
- Residence must be within 30 minutes driving time from the CRITFE’s Hood River Enforcement Office
- Valid driver license, excellent driving record and no criminal history.
- Supervision Received: This position works under the direct supervision of the Dispatch Supervisor and receives indirect supervision from the Administrative Supervisor and Captain.
- Supervision Given: Generally, a Communications officer exercises no supervisory authority. However, in those instances where a supervisor is not available, a Communications officer having clear and unmistakable seniority over another, shall be responsible for supervisor decision affecting the Communications Division.
Office environment; rotating shifts with 24-hour coverage, 7 days a week, including holidays. Some overtime may be necessary to ensure shift coverage or to attend mandatory meetings/training. Some lifting, moving of equipment and office supplies. Travel for training can be overnight to three weeks to fulfill basic requirements.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
The driver operating a CRITFC vehicle or their own private vehicle for business related purposes shall be in possession of a valid, unrestricted current driver’s license, or other operator’s license, as required by law; and be eligible for coverage under CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle insurance policy. Upon request, CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle policy is available to applicants to review the required criteria.
CRITFC requires all new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first day of employment, and as a condition of that employment.
All qualified individuals, including women, veterans, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Hiring preference will be given to qualified enrolled members of federally recognized tribes and Alaskan Natives, especially to members of the four CRITFC member tribes (Warm Springs, Yakama, Umatilla and Nez Perce). If accommodations are needed during the application process, please contact Human Resources (see info below).
Note: no incomplete application will be considered.
Complete application materials include a cover letter, CV/resume, a completed job application a copy of relevant certifications and a list of at least three professional references.
Send application packet to:
ATTN: Human Resources
700 NE Multnomah, Suite 1200
Portland, OR 97232
You may submit your application by:
- Surface mail to the above address
- Fax to (503) 238-3571
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org