Staff Accountant/Accounts Payable
Closing Date: Open until filled.
This position primary function is the processing of all phases of the Accounts Payable cycle. The position provides support to accounting functions. The position also helps maintain accounts receivable; ensures weekly bank deposits, maintenance of credit card, charge account and petty cash accounts; prepares general ledger journal entries; assists in special project management; participates in internal and external audit; and works in other areas managed by the Department.
- Department: Finance & Operations
- Classification: Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
- Salary: $44,155 – $67,946
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures accounts payable are processed each week through Sage ERP 300 for Windows. Receives and matches invoices with purchase orders and ensures that all supporting documentation is completed before issuing checks. Interacts with purchasing staff to ensure processing requirements are met. Analyzes accounts and interacts with vendors to settle accounts as needed. Processes credits, debits, and adjustments within the Accounts Payable module. Performs month-end close and assists in year-end close in preparation for the annual audit.
- Processes purchase orders by receiving Purchase Order Requests (PORs), reviewing for completeness, assigning numbers, entering information into Purchase Order Module, generating & updating purchases orders, entering goods received as necessary, working with Contracts Accountant to update budgets, interacting with management & vendors as necessary. Makes recommendations for streamlining processes.
- Records cash receipts and prepares the associated journal entries. Responsible for the Petty Cash.
- Maintains all prepaid expense supporting documentation, prepares the monthly journal entry, and balances the account to the general ledger.
- Maintains all insurance records. Interacts with insurer to process claims. Updates records for new and disposed vehicles and boats. Processes requests for Certificates of Insurance. Has responsibility to maintain all registration information for vehicles, boats, and trailers.
- Maintains accounts receivable by invoicing vendor accounts and performing follow-up on delinquent accounts to collect amounts due CRITFC.
- Coordinates weekly bank deposit by preparing deposit documents and making arrangement for deposits into CRITFC account.
- Assists in the implementation of applicable policies for the maintenance of credit card, charge account, and petty cash accounts by ensuring these instruments are authorized for employee use through documentation.
- Assists internal and external audit activities to ensure accuracy of the general ledger and to minimize external audit expense by analyzing accounts, preparing schedules and journal entries, and making recommendations to ensure accuracy of accounts.
- Prepares and processes annual 1099s and filing.
- Assists in special projects by providing financial analysis to provide support and to develop recommendations.
- Performs in-depth general ledger analysis and prepares the associated general ledger adjustments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business (concentration in accounting) preferred. Experience and previous course will work will be considered in-lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
- This position is expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative in performance of duties and assignments, and should have experience in working with all levels of accounting and demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively with other staff. Confidentiality of information is required.
In addition, the following qualifications are required:
- A minimum of three years’ experience in accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger account analysis including preparation of general journal entries.
- A minimum of three years’ experience with Sage ERP 300, or similar accounting software. A high level of proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel software application. Proficient in Word software application.
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first day of employment.
Experience working with Not-For-Profit and Governmental organizations (Public accounting), with a working knowledge of the Single Audit Act-OMB General Guidance and Fund Accounting is beneficial.
Working knowledge of governmental accounting practices and procedures, including Federal Travel Regulations (FTRs) and of Federal OMB financial standards that apply to federally-recognized Indian tribal governments (Circular 2 CFR 200) will also be considered favorably.
- Supervision Received: This position reports to the Controller on an ongoing basis.
- Supervision Given: This position has no supervisory role.
The position will require occasional moving of files. Additional or extended working hours will be required occasionally to deal with accounting issues. Valid driver’s license and good driving record are required.
CRITFC Motor Vehicle Policy
The driver operating a CRITFC vehicle or their own private vehicle for business related purposes shall be in possession of a valid, unrestricted current driver’s license, or other operator’s license, as required by law; and be eligible for coverage under CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle insurance policy. Upon request, CRITFC’s Motor Vehicle policy is available to applicants to review the required criteria.
CRITFC requires all new employees be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first day of employment, and as a condition of that employment.
All qualified individuals, including women, veterans, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Hiring preference will be given to qualified enrolled members of federally recognized tribes and Alaskan Natives, especially to members of the four CRITFC member tribes (Warm Springs, Yakama, Umatilla and Nez Perce). If accommodations are needed during the application process, please contact Human Resources (see info below).
Note: no incomplete application will be considered.
Complete application materials include a cover letter, CV/resume, a completed job application a copy of relevant certifications and a list of at least three professional references.
Send application packet to:
ATTN: Human Resources
700 NE Multnomah, Suite 1200
Portland, OR 97232
You may submit your application by:
- Surface mail to the above address
- Fax to (503) 238-3571
- email to firstname.lastname@example.org